Monday, June 25, 2012

Some thoughts on California

Well, I've officially been here about a week and a half. I thought I'd post some thoughts on my first bit of time here.

Driving:
I've been learning how to get around here and there with the help of David, my British Garmin voice. He has trouble saying Boulevard. There happen to be a lot of Boulevards that I've driven on lately. Its a bit amusing. And he has not yet directed me to drive into the ocean, which is probably a good thing. Hehe. (that's for all you "The Office" fans out there) Unfortunately, I don't listen well sometimes. Or perhaps its more like I don't judge distance well sometimes, and make lots of wrong turns too early, so David has done a lot of recalculating. However, I can now make it to the grocery store and home again without David's assistance, so that's progress! There's a really funny story about how I missed the car wash and how I managed to drive back again, but you might have to ask for that one. :)

Driving really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Perhaps it is because I've done most of my outings during the day, when people are at work, but the freeways don't freak me out like I thought they might. I don't really go very far, so I'm doing okay with normal streets as well. Especially now that I'm getting the hang of which ones I actually want to be on. :) I think I've pulled more U turns in the last 2 weeks than in the last several years combined. Although, in some areas, the lanes are small. We all fit, but sometimes I'm just not sure if I want to try. I like my mirrors. . .

Parking:
Parking, on the other hand, is ridiculous. Parking lots do kind of freak me out. They are all very full and very small. And the parking spots are even smaller than midwestern parking spots. Narrow little spaces you are supposed to be able to navigate into. . . I think it takes some getting used to.

And the parallel parking. Because you might not have a lot to park in, or find a space in a lot, so every bit of the side of the road that can be parallel parked on is. (so many cars! so many people!). And that is probably where a spot will be found, so I've been honing my parallel parking skills. Its exciting (sarcasm). I still need to get a bit better.

The weather:
I arrived in June. Sounds like a great month right? well apparently they have this "May Grey - June Gloom" thing. So since La Jolla is so near the ocean, this marine layer comes up in June in the AM and PM and it is more chilly than you might think. I think it struggled to reach 74 some of the days when I first got here. Days which I hear were 90 in Iowa! So it was only sunny some afternoons. And everyone apologizes. But June Gloom is better than -20 degree February and hot humid August in Iowa any day! But now it is getting warmer and sunnier as the month ends. But since La Jolla isn't inland, it should not get too hot, even during the summer.

The ocean:
So I'm a few blocks from the beach (only for a little while longer - I can't afford an apartment over here, I'm still staying with a friend). So I've gotten to take a few jogs down by the beach. And sit on the rocks and watch the ocean and the surfers - we have quite a few on this beach. (yes, I'm trying to make you jealous). However, with the marine layer stuff, it has looked more grey and cold. Not so inviting for a swim. And there is quite a bit of seaweed. And honestly, sometimes it just smells funny. But all in all pretty nice.

Tomomi has been showing me around on the weekends, and this weekend we went to visit Old Town and Coronado Island. Coronado Island has a nice beach! Less seaweed, long sandy shores. Someone needs to come visit so I have an excuse to go back! Additionally, you have to drive across this really awesome bridge to get there and on the bridge is a great view of the city scape of San Diego! Here is a really cool sandcastle someone was building there this weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you're settling in and not getting too hopelessly lost. :) I truly did forget how bad you were with directions! Haha. When we went to LA with Chris & Sarah it was in June, and it was rather chilly & gloomy at times there, too. Hope you can enjoy it, though! Colorado is in it's worst heat wave in recorded history. And the fires are terrible. :( Another one sprung up near Boulder just yesterday from another lightening strike -- the smoke plume is overhead at our house! It makes me sad. One friend's house burned down in Estes, and another friend's neighborhood is on fire in CO Springs, but they think their house has made it so far. Anyway . . . I'm rambling. Pray for rain and cooler weather in CO!

    Have you found any apartments? Are you working in your lab yet? Hope everything is going well on this new adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete