Sunday, June 10, 2012

California or Bust

Well, I meant to put up some stuff each night, but our days have been packed with driving and our few little adventures! So here's our adventures since Friday.

On Friday afternoon, I finished saying goodbye (sniff, sniff) and packed up the car, picked up Christy and we hit the road. We stopped for dinner in Des Moines with our friend Erin before heading out to my parents for the night.  The car isn't as packed as I thought, but I still feel like I did really bring everything but the kitchen sink!
Here's us all ready for traveling!



Saturday was the longest day of driving! We had to drive across the lovely state of Nebraska along I-80. For all those of you who have done that, you know how boring it can be. So to break up the trip we stopped at the Great Platte River Road Archway to go through the museum. This archway looks pretty cool. It spans I-80 near Kearney. We actually enjoyed the museum and learned some cool info about transportation across the United States over the years.  Makes me so thankful for interstates and cars and that I'm not heading to California in a covered wagon or on a dirt road! We got our picture taken with this pioneer man at the arch.



The other highlight of the trip was entering Colorado. The motto is Colorful Colorado. We got an awesome picture taken with the sign!  However, the highlight for me was Christy's first take on entering Colorado.  She thought it was rather brown, and that it was flatter than Iowa!!!  But she perked up once we spotted mountains in the distance.





So I only sort of hurt my foot walking into a metal framed teepee, and we only sort of got directionally confused once. Overall, a pretty good day :)

We stayed Saturday night near Denver with my good college friend Cari and her family and so we got to enjoy a bit of downtown Boulder for lunch today (Sunday). The crazy things they have down there. This couple below (with the digery -do like instruments) would give you a "brain massage" if you wanted it. This involved them play into a microphone and you putting on earphones to listen.  Hmmm. Really??



 I would also like to report that I successfully made it through Colorado without wanting to open the door and push Christy out of the car. . . but we still have three more states to go! We'll see what the next days bring. :)

1 comment:

  1. Catching up on your blog today . . . And I must say, I can't BELIEVE we didn't take ANY pictures while you were here! What was I thinking?!?! Oh, well -- I guess we just need to visit San Diego so we can see you there! :) Also . . . Ava still talks about you a lot, and I think she may permanently refer to the couch as "Kara's bed". Heehee. :)

    ReplyDelete