Sunday, October 7, 2012

It's beginning to feel like fall . . .

Being in California has really thrown me off my seasons. Really, it seems like its still summer. It has still been rather warm, which is nice. The days have gotten shorter, along with still being warm, so that's confusing. And I've overheard conversations about how it is starting to look like fall. I think I need to open my eyes wider! I don't really see it! I have noticed some trees loosing their leaves. I just feel so far from fall because it is everywhere in the Midwest! So many trees turning colors, the snap in the air, the start of school, and college football season.  (even if I didn't pay attention to the games, it was still hard to miss!)

I'm so off here because I don't feel that snap in the air yet, I'm very far from college football (I can't believe it is several weeks in!), and the schedule at UCSD is a bit off. The students started last week. I'm pretty sure that still means summer! (doesn't it?) The church I attend had a kickoff for their college ministry for the first week of school last weekend. It was fun! (they invited the church too. That's why I was there. No, I'm not trying to pass as an undergrad!)

We went out to this area called Fiesta Island. It is in the bay, so one can do boating and such, and it is as if one is a lake. Just a saltwater one :). They rented a boat and jetski and we got to go tubing and hang out on the beach. Not such a bad way to pass an afternoon!

I then went home, bought Honeycrisp apples, and baked a pie. Because that helps me feel like its fall! And the pie was greatly enjoyed by a number of people. I'll have to make applecrisp soon. I think its my second addiction (i could eat a whole pan of it myself). And goes quite well with my primary addiction (coffee, of course). But doesn't all dessert?   

One last story - today I had one of those moments, where if you aren't being patient in the traffic, you will be made to wait even longer!! We had church in downtown San Diego as all the associated church plants in my church's network all met together. So I was driving home from downtown, and was trying to turn right. But traffic was all stopped up (due to a trolley track crossing). So I decided to be impatient with some other people and went straight. I passed the street I was trying to turn onto just as traffic started moving. And then I only made it a block forward before a policeman on a motorcycle blocked off traffic for a 10 minute parade toward the harbor. So there I was. Stuck waiting even longer because I wouldn't wait! Oh the city.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are acclimating well, even if you miss home. Trust me, the past few days are nothing to miss! Freezing, up to 60mph wind gusts, rainy and just icky. So that might make you feel better. :) Plus, the wind probably blew all the pretty leaves off the trees, but I haven't ventured out to check yet. It's still chilly today and I like wearing sweats. Hope to talk to you soon, really miss you and I am glad you are in such a beautiful place and finding things to do. Love you! (Katie)

    ReplyDelete