Saturday, October 27, 2012

Balboa Park

I think I'm a bit overdue for a post! I have been putting in some effort to get out and do things with my new friends here, which has been good. Two weeks ago, I ventured with my new friend Grace to Balboa Park, which is a beautiful park here in San Diego. It is home to the famous San Diego Zoo, but also a number of museums, some beautiful buildings, green grass and beautiful flowers. We had a nice time walking around through the botanical garden and the rose garden.

The coolest stuff in the botanical garden were the beautiful orchids (of many amazing colors), and the carnivorous pitcher plant!



 The rose garden was quite extensive and so pretty! I thought the colors on this one were so astounding. So bright and stunning that it was hard to believe it was real!



The architecture is very picturesque. I love it. Very Spanish/Mission style; some of it with amazing detail work. It makes me wish I had hours to spend there (and a really cool camera) with which to get the most artistic shots possible! I think it would be fun.

 






Love the tiling on the roof of this building! There is also an amphitheater at Balboa Park with a large pipe organ, and a free organ concert every Sunday at 2pm.  Who wants to go?  I really want to check it out sometime!

Grace and I topped off our morning at the park with lunch at an Afghani restaurant (delicious!) and pumpkin gelato. Yum.

Since this fun weekend adventure, I caught a virus that was going around at work. I spent last weekend feeling pretty sick, and spent all this week trying to recover. I'm still working on that. I really hate being sick. However, this coming week, I have some fun to look forward to! The first of two back to back visitors!  My dear friend Melissa arrives later in the coming week to help me celebrate my birthday! I am very excited about this.

1 comment:

  1. I've been there before! I remember all the gardens -- pretty! Hope everything is going well & that you had a wonderful birthday awhile ago -- so fun that your friend is coming to visit soon! :)

    ReplyDelete